Friday, October 17, 2008

Thing #12 - Social Media

I like the idea of the Social Media sites. It seems very democratic somehow. In that, your average every day citizen can note what is important to them, as opposed to the media determining what is important. Personally, I can see using one of them for a quick news blip. If you're really busy, but want to know what 'people' are talking about or what they think is important, this would be a way to do it. I'm curious if a certain type or group of people tend to use certain Social Media sites though. I wonder if there would be a way to use the same idea for recommending books, movies and music on the library's website? As my dad always says...'people are sheep'...they want to read and watch what other people are reading and watching. So, I guess there's two ways to look at it: democratic or sheep-ish. I think I liked Digg the best. It was the most straightforward. I sent an article from the New York Times, which had already been sent. So I 'dugg' it. Apparently, a lot of people dugg it before me, so I guess I'm one of the flock....

No comments: